Today was (and still is) another sunny and warm day on the Isle of Mull. I spent the early morning in the office at HWDT and a before noon, I headed down to the pontoons and got aboard the Silver Swift. For 4 hours I acted as an unaccredited Guide for things you may seen above and below the waters of the Hebrides. We had a few sightings of the dependable, but shy Harbour Porpoise and excitement rose when we were near the Cairns of Coll and saw a "hurry" of seabirds, which sometimes is accompanied with cetaceans (whales/dolphins) below. Even with the favorable conditions, no basking sharks were seen. There may have been some disappointment onboard, but nevertheless it was a gorgeous day to be on the water. As far as seabirds, it was a success as we saw guillemots, razorbills, 2 puffins, manx shearwaters, gannets, "bonxies" aka great skua, kittiwakes, herring gulls, black-back gulls and possible storm petrels. So the one "birder" onboard was extremely happy. Also, I had an encounter with a bird I have never seen before, and after looking in the bird ID book, I think it may have been a rarer type of Gull, not normally seen here.
Tomorrow, I will go aboard Sea Life Surveys boat with one of the student volunteers here this week and see if we can be treated to seeing something special.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment