Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Silurian's First Mate


Today I have new job title: "First Mate" on the sailing yacht Silurian.....well, for today and tomorrow at least. The next 3 days are just day trips for university students and I was asked if I wanted to help out......such a silly question, of course I want to go out on Silurian!!!!

So, instead of being a "volunteer" on Silurian, today I was "CREW". I was on the same boat, but whole different experience. I got to do a lot of things I haven't had the opportunity to do before, for example, make endless teas & coffees :o), unhook the mooring lines, tie the buoys, daydream during the safety & scientific briefing (grin), light the stove without supervision (big grin), be left at the helm on my own, lower the RIB into the water, kick some tourist yachty off OUR mooring, hook the mooring ropes on the bow, wave goodbye to the volunteers, and sit in the saloon enjoying the quiet pattering of rain as the CREW share an evening cup of tea.

The day ended with fish and chips (I apologize for eating fish, but the Co-op closed before I could get supper so had to go to the fish and chip van on the pier), a rainbow and otter in the harbour.

Good way to spend the day!!!

P.S. Also saw a "wee" basking shark.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for you! Sounds like you had a blast! Is this something you'll get to do regularly? And, when we come visit, how do we book a tour on this ship of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have a blast on Silurian and again today! Our research vessel goes on 8 to 12 day trips throughout the summer season. They like to remind people its a scientific survey, not a whalewatch....I love being out on the water and just a fantastic bonus if you see cetaceans (whales, dolphins, porpoise). I would be onboard again tomorrow, but got to go represent HWDT at the Tobermory Highland Games....this is a tough gig (grin). Another bonus is on Saturday I get to go on Silurian again and sail all the way up to Kyle of Lochalsh.

    So if you come for another visit to Tobermory/Mull, I can recommend several "day trips" on different boats here...from 1 hour to 6 hour trips.

    ReplyDelete