Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Joys of Traveling





One of the amazing, little miracles I love about traveling is you never know all the details, no matter how you plan or imagine things might be. This afternoon I arrived in Gairloch where I thought I would spend the evening, but first a much earned break and a chance to stretch my legs. Walked down the pier road, still quite amazed at my surroundings. Its so much more than anything I could have imagined. There have been so many breathtaking views today, so spectacularly special. I grabbed a bite to eat and still felt like driving or at least getting out of town, so went to the tourist info centre and just decided to get a B&B for 2 nights and explore the surrounding area. Hopped back into the car to drive a bit farther north to the village of Aultbea to Tranquility B&B. The drive was breathtaking and when I arrived I was warmly welcomed.

After being on a boat and sleeping in such rough conditions last night and my day long driving challenge, I was feeling quite shattered. But I spent about 20 minutes getting the wet tent out of the boot and stretching it out on the clothes line in the sun and wind and the rain-soaked tent was soon dried and packed away. A marvelous shower, visiting with hosts and meeting their pet, wild herring gull, Sidney. The last few hours of the evening were spent unconscious and I have woken up 3 hours later and its now near midnight, so goodnight in slightly different conditions than last night.

1 comment: