
Today I was aboard Sula Beag with Sea Life Surveys. Calm seas, warm weather and overcast skies as we departed Tobermory. As we sailed out of the Sound of Mull, several porpoise were seen, but the main goal today was to find the minke whale (summer time visitors to Hebridean waters). From the SW the dark clouds approached and behind us, Mull disappeared into the mist.
As it began to rain, I was the only one still outside, until the crew joined me in their waterproofs. The sea state was still very calm (even as the rain pelted my back), but visibility was hindered by the mist and low lying wispy clouds. We traveled along the east side of the Isle of Muck and stopped to drift of the NE tip for a lunch break. The rain had departed and everyone went inside to snack. I grabbed my sandwich and went back up top to enjoy the fresh, clean air and the magnificent view of Muck, Eigg and the hills of Rum........and a Minke Whale. I called in the sighting and everyone was back outside for a chance to spot the minke. A second one was seen and possible more during the rest of the afternoon, but it could have been the same individuals covering alot of area. More porpoise were seen and the minke proved elusive to spot again after it dived. As we scanned the surrounding seas, the sound of a minke exhaling was heard behind the boat. The minke whale approached Sula Beag and surfaced twice right along side the boat (wondering why we had been following all morning perhaps). It was wonderful!! Even though I have been lucky enough to see Minkes several times now, this was still my closest encounter to date. As suddenly as this marvelous Minke appeared, it was gone.
As it began to rain, I was the only one still outside, until the crew joined me in their waterproofs. The sea state was still very calm (even as the rain pelted my back), but visibility was hindered by the mist and low lying wispy clouds. We traveled along the east side of the Isle of Muck and stopped to drift of the NE tip for a lunch break. The rain had departed and everyone went inside to snack. I grabbed my sandwich and went back up top to enjoy the fresh, clean air and the magnificent view of Muck, Eigg and the hills of Rum........and a Minke Whale. I called in the sighting and everyone was back outside for a chance to spot the minke. A second one was seen and possible more during the rest of the afternoon, but it could have been the same individuals covering alot of area. More porpoise were seen and the minke proved elusive to spot again after it dived. As we scanned the surrounding seas, the sound of a minke exhaling was heard behind the boat. The minke whale approached Sula Beag and surfaced twice right along side the boat (wondering why we had been following all morning perhaps). It was wonderful!! Even though I have been lucky enough to see Minkes several times now, this was still my closest encounter to date. As suddenly as this marvelous Minke appeared, it was gone.
On the way back into Tobermory, got a great plankton trawl and took a sample back to the visitor centre and the HWDT corner to test our new video microscope. Very cool to see the plankton and jelly and larvae magnified. A whole world exists in a petri dish of seawater! The very essence of the Earth's food chain!
Additional Note: I wasn't onboard, but here is a fantastic video by Andy Tait at SLS, with a fantastic close Minke encounter and "association" July 6, 2009

No comments:
Post a Comment