Monday, September 28, 2009

Rain and Gray, September Rolls Away

Today is another cool and rainy day in Scotland. I don't mind, but it does tend to be a subject of conversation....something to fill those small awkward silences with people you are just getting to know. The second week of Uni began, with the pace picking up and settling into a routine. I got lots to do and still have to solve my log in problems to several important course applications. I can only tell the powers that be that I can't log in, they just need to hurry up and fix it. I don't want to get behind on IMS and ITC classes because I am unable to access course material. I am on a mission tomorrow.....among attending a double Chemistry lecture and my first Chem lab practical in the afternoon. I hope the lecture delves back into Chemistry....I just can't take this quantum physics stuff so soon!

5 comments:

  1. It was Sunny, mid 80's here today!! The leaves haven't yet started to turn!!! I bought my hiking boots and am breaking them in on my morning walks with Bella!!! I'm ready for Iona!! Love, Mom xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, yes. Please DO continue to write about your experiences with regards to the educational system. I find them endlessly fascinating, and look forward to your perspective. I'll just say: it ain't the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the educational system here is very different and diverse and then you have the English and Scottish system....as soon as I think I have a simple grasp of it, someone informs me that I don't. Well, I will just worry about my niche here at SAMS and do the work I am given to the best of my abilities. I do like the fact that anything above 70 is grade A, instead of 90-100, but then it occurs to me that they might have higer standards here???? I have experienced the education system in USA and Canada and now Scotland.....so much to learn! :-) I have started a seperate blog on my Uni experience at SAMS

    http://samsmarinescience.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way "marking" was explained to me, as one who will be doing the marking, was that there are 5 levels for A because nobody gives out the top two. That way, it's at least somewhat fair, in that the distribution of marks works out to be relatively consistent, and the professors get to mark down for not being Einstein.

    As to the percentages: I've never seen that scale. Here at Glasgow it's on something like a 20 point scale. Strange, though.

    Will check out your other blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for explanation on "marking", gives me some clues to the mystery :-)

    ReplyDelete