Thursday, June 10, 2010

Early Morning in Prince Rupert

Wispy clouds move through the valley and mist caresses the hills around Kaien Island. The water is still as the bald eagle sits atop the piling taking in the amazing vista around him. Small fish swim beneath the glassy surface, flashes of silver, like old camera flash bulbs. The bald eagle launches from its perch, taking one giant flap of its wings and glides straight towards me and passes a few feet over my head. Wow.

It is low tide and the pilings of the dock are encrusted with barnacles and mussels, with a starfish near the water's surface.

A raven has taken up the vacant eagle's perch and a seal's head breaks the surface of the water as it swims beneath the dock.

The air is cool and fresh, with the comforting, tangy smell of the ocean with a hint of pine.

What a magical place.

3 comments:

  1. Nicely described.Close my eyes I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lived on the West coast of Vancouver island and have also seen the wonders of Bella Coola, but I have never been to Prince Rupert. I look forward to seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a lovely morning and it was a fantastic day. I had a great ferry ride and saw lots of bald eagles and some porpoise.

    I didn't take many photos today, but I will be sharing pictures soon!

    ReplyDelete