Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bath Time




Last night I took a bath.
Why should this be a topic for a blog entry you may ask?
Well, first the tub was outside with no plumbing.
To fill the tub, I used a garden hose.
The cold, clean water comes from the nearby stream.

How do you get the bathwater hot?
You start a fire under the tub.
I gathered driftwood on the rocky shore.
Added some cardboard, kindling, a light breeze helped the fire get started.
Over the next hour the fire heated up the metal of the tub and the rocks in the pit began to glow.
The water grew warm, then hot.

The sun set and the dusky light of evening gave the landscape a bluish hue.
The fire was extinguish with the hose and the embers were shoveled out and put out in a small saltwater pond by the shore, hissing and steaming as they were extinguished.
The water was very hot, so cold water was added until the perfect temperature was reached.
I stepped up to the tub and slide into the glorious hot water.
True utter bliss.

As I soaked, a seal snorted as it swam along the shore. Ravens cackled as they flew overhead. A bald eagle landed upon a branch above.
The few wispy clouds in the sky parted and a crescent moon revealed.
Hello Moon.

When the first evening star became visible, it was time to leave this warm water haven and go to bed.
Back in my tent I heard the breathy blow of a humpback whale and saw it swim by the shore below.
I fell asleep to humpback blows and tonal rumbles.

8 comments:

  1. What an amazing story. How do you climb in the tub if the metal is all hot? Seals snorts and humpback songs - just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the ultimate bath and experience. Only the bottom gets really hot. Actually have a piece of plywood that is cut to fit the bottom, so you can sit on that, so you don't burn your bum! When I put the hose of cold water in the tub to cool it down, I had it at the bottom, which seemed to cool it down enough, so I didn't need the plywood to sit on. It was perfect! I have pictures, which I will continue to try to add, but the signal here makes it difficult.
    The humpbacks are amazing. The last few days they have shown up in amazing numbers, swimming right by the lab. This morning I went kayaking and got some company from a trio. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing experience!!! Treasure it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer vacation, huh?
    :sigh:
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am a unpaid intern...that's fine by me! This place is amazing! Wonderful people, lots of cetaceans, beautiful location. Even chopping wood, hauling gravel, and others labor intensive tasks are fun. A week without a bath/shower (wash hair in kitchen sink) is fine too, if bath time is like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures, and love the idea of bathing beneath the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, easy to take beautiful pictures of such a stunning place! I highly recommend an outdoor tub!

    ReplyDelete