Barnacles out of water and closedDid you know barnacles are brilliant? I have never given them much thought before today. I just thought of them as weird growths on the rocks on the shore and didn't even think of them as living creatures. It is easy to think this when the only time I have ever seen them is when the tide is out and they are closed up waiting for the sea to return. Well, I took a few rocks covered in barnacles from the beach back to the lab, along with some seawater and watched what happened. I didn't need a microscope to see the barnacles open up and begin beating their cirri in the attempt to eat, but looking through the microscope made the view even more intricate and spectacular. I really need to start diving so I can get to look at all the amazing things under the sea.


Fabulous shot of those barnacles! Did you use a polarizer, to cut the glare on the water?
ReplyDeleteThe top picture I "borrowed". Wish it was mine, as it is fabulous. I did take some pictures in the lab of the barnacles and the cirri they extend to feed, but the species I was looking at in the lab, are Acorn Barnacles, as pictured in the bottom image.
ReplyDeleteTruly fabulous photo, nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteHope you're well, and enjoying the sunshine up there!
The sunshine is fabulous here, it is great to have laundry dry in an hour, as compare to winter's weeklong intervals. Hope you have plenty of sun in Glasgow!
ReplyDeleteBarnacles are grand - intricate and beautiful. I try not be be jealous of all your visits to the islands, and enjoy the pleasure of living in this swish city of Edinburgh. Still, determined to get out at the weekend. :)
ReplyDeleteBarnacles are great! I love visiting the Hebrides, but don't get to go explore as much as I want. I now have the car to go explore, but the fuel is so expensive! I love your blog posts on all the exploring and amazing places you go too. There is so much to see and do, I just need to take the initiative. Alas, I have 2 huge assessments to finish and exams to study for, so skyving, I mean exploring will have to wait ;) Been to Edinburgh for short visit years ago, must return and explore some more! Happy travels and weekend adventures!
ReplyDeleteIf they have an International Club at your uni, you should join - it's how we manage to get out to most of the places we go. :)
ReplyDeleteWe're going to a "Safari Park" in a few weeks. Poor, African animals.
My uni is very small, well at least our campus, so I don't think an International Club is an option, but sounds fun! Have fun on safari :), look forward to your pictures and blog post :)
ReplyDelete